Occupational Health Services Technician I/II (Per-diem)
Description:Open positions at NYCAMH for Occupational Health Services Technician I/II (Per-diem). This position supports the Occupational Health Services Program (HealthWorks service delivery and firefighter/EMS evaluations) through interdisciplinary teamwork, in accordance with established protocols. Under the medical direction of the NYCAMH Director and general supervision of the HealthWorks Supervisor and NYCAMH Manager, this position contributes to the maintenance of healthy and safe workers. Provides professional services to employees, firefighters and EMS personnel needed to address occupational health concerns. Provides a variety of occupational health services for regional businesses and fire departments.
Assures the quality of off-site health screening services for work sites and other community sites. Collects and maintains confidential reports and files and provides data requested by the Manager, NYCAMH Ag Group and NYCAMH Director. Applies proven educational techniques to provide counseling and to communicate risk of coronary artery disease in a culturally sensitive manner for health screening participants.
- High school diploma or GED
- Significant experience with personal computers and software packages (word processing, spreadsheets, and databases) is helpful.
- Training to acquire expertise in techniques and systems aimed at enhancing the health and safety of employees, firefighters and emergency medical services personnel.
- Considerable experience with previous laboratory work and/or community/public health work will be considered.
- Health promotion/disease prevention experience preferred.
(OHST I) None
(OHST II): Current certification in one or more of the following:
- Certified Professional Collector Trained in Urine Specimen Collection
- Certified Pulmonary Function Technologist (NIOSH)
- Certified Occupational Hearing Conservationist (CAOHC)
- Certified Breath Alcohol Technician
- Current NYS Driver's license
- Familiarity with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, particularly as it relates to a manufacturing environment and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, preferred
- Exemplary interpersonal communication skills with a strong, professional and courteous customer service orientation.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to manage several tasks simultaneously and to work under deadline pressure to coordinate and provide screening.
- Attention to detail in scheduling, travel and other logistical arrangements.
- Expertise in basic prevention principles with regard to CAD as well as strong clinical/technical, and health education skills.
- Must be able to work in a team environment while remaining self-directed and with the ability to work independently.
- Role modeling of heart healthy lifestyles preferred.
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment, respirator fit testing qualitative and quantitative, phlebotomy, vital signs, vision testing, and EKG preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Practical knowledge of health promotion and disease prevention issues particularly as it relates to heart disease preferred.
- Knowledge of Infection control and blood-borne pathogens standard.
- Physical mobility, manual dexterity, visual, driver's license. Moderate light loading and unloading of equipment from vans (less than 40 lbs.) Frequent driving up to 2-3 hours per day, multiple days per week. Standing and interacting with people for extended periods of time is sometimes required.
- Shared office space with networked computer and peripherals, phone, fax, and internet access in busy office setting. Frequent on-site screening and educational settings at various community locations within the eight-county service region. Travel via departmental vehicle is frequent and occasionally independently. Some erratic hours with some early morning and evening. Occasional weekend work and travel.
To apply to this position through Bassett Healthcare Network, click here.
To find jobs at NYCAMH/NEC, choose “US:NY:Fly Creek” in the location box of the job listing search.